By Iain Wilson
Contributions from Josh West, Heather Wald, Leon Hurley
Josh West, Heather Wald, Leon Hurley
With a Skyrim console command you can level up your skills and fully customise your Elder Scrolls experience
The best Skyrim cheats can tailor your experience in Tamriel to your liking. Skyrim console commands can also help you in all manner of ways and change up your experience, from spawning items to levelling up skills and much more. While it takes some doing to discover all Skyrim has to offer over, we've had plenty of time to get lost in the adventures of the Dragonborn over the last decade. Happily, Skyrim cheats are also a great way of breathing renewed life into the game in fun ways.
No matter whether you're playing an older version of the game or the more recent Skyrim Anniversary Edition, you can only use Skyrim cheats via PC console commands. So, if you're on Switch, Xbox, or PlayStation, you won't be able to use them. But, if you're looking to shake things up a bit on other platforms, it can be worth checking out our roundup of the best Skyrim mods.
Read on below to find a breakdown of all of the best Skyrim cheats and console commands, along with instructions on how you can use them.
How to use Skyrim console commands
As with most PC games, you can enter a Skyrim console command by pressing the tilde (~). That will open up the developer console, where you can type in the various command codes we've got below, then hit tilde once again to close the console and return to the game to see what you've got. And, unless otherwise stated, entering the same code a second time should turn it off again.
You can enter multiple codes at a time and stack up various effects, just be wary of breaking things - using some of these codes (especially in combination) can cause glitches, mess up ongoing storylines or saves, or crash your game entirely, so make sure you create a back up save and keep it separate before you start playing around - otherwise you may find you've permanently broken your progress, and nobody wants to deal with that in a game the size of Skyrim. Achievements will also be disabled as soon as you start entering these codes, so unfortunately you won't be able to cheat your way to completing any challenges.
Skyrim console commands to level up skills
- tgm - God mode: Full invincibility, infinite stamina and magicka.
- tim - Immortal mode: Similar to God mode, you can take damage but can't be killed.
- tcl - No-clip mode: Walk through walls, fly.
- showracemenu - Access the character creator to change appearance (this will reset your level and skill progress).
- player.resethealth - Immediately refills your health.
- psb - Learn every magic spell.
- player.advlevel - Increase player level by one, though you won't get a perk point.
- player.setlevel # - Replace # with the level to set your player to.
- player.setscale # - Replace # with the height for your character, between 0.1 and 10.
- advskill SkillID # - Replace SkillID with the skill you're modifying and # with the .amount you are modifying it by. A list of SkillIDs is here.
- addshout ShoutID - Replace ShoutID with the shout you want to add. A list of ShoutIDs is here.
- player.addperk PerkID - Replace PerkID with the perk you want to add. A list of PerkIDs is here.
- player.additem ItemID # - Replace ItemID with the item you want to add to your inventory, and # with the amount of that item to add. A list of ItemIDs is here.
- unlock - Point at a door or chest then use this code to unlock it.
World Skyrim console commands and cheats
- tm - Turns off all GUI display.
- tmm # - Toggle map markers, replace # with 0 to disable all or 1 to enable all.
- tfc - Free camera mode, add 1 to pause the game.
- sucsm # - Replace # to change the speed of the free camera i.e. 0.5 for half speed or 2. for double speed.
- tfow - Remove fog from the world map.
- tg - Turn off grass.
- ts - Turn off skybox and fog.
- tt - Turn off trees.
- tws - Turn off water (when not underwater).
- set timescale to # - Replace # to set the rate time passes at, 1 is realtime and 20 is default.
- sgtm # - Replace # to set the game speed i.e. 0.5 for half speed or 2 for double speed.
- fw WeatherID - Replace WeatherID with the type of weather you want to instantly activate. A list of WeatherIDs is here.
- sw WeatherID - Replace WeatherID with the type of weather you want to gradually activate.
Skyrim quest cheats and console commands
- caqs - Completes all primary quest stages (may cause crashes)
- saq - Starts all quests (may cause crashes)
- sqo - Shows all objectives for ongoing quests
- sqt - Shows all targets for ongoing quests
- showquesttargets - Displays the QuestID for all current quests
- player.sqs QuestID - Shows all stages for the entered QuestID
- movetoqt QuestID - Move to the target of the entered QuestID
- completequest QuestID - Completes quest with the entered QuestID
- resetquest QuestID - Resets quest with the entered QuestID
NPC Skyrim console commands
- tdetect - Turn off AI detection while stealing, doesn't work for pickpocketing
- tai Turns off non-combat AI for NPCs
- tcai Turns off combat AI for NPCs
- sexchange Changes gender of targeted NPC (or yourself if not targeting)
- tc Allows you to take control of the targeted NPC
- kill Kill the targeted NPC
- killall Kills all non-essential NPCs in the area
- resurrect Bring a dead targeted NPC back to life, add 1 to keep their current items intact
- player.placeatme NPCID Places the stated NPC next to you. A list of NPCIDs is here
With all those Skyrim cheats and console commands you should have plenty to new things to experiment with, or completely new ways to experience things. Maybe you just want to get through parts of the game you might have played multiple times before. Whatever you want to do there's a command here somewhere to do it. If you have any trouble with any of these cheats, or just want to see what else you can do, just type help in the console command screen and follow the instructions.
How to install Skyrim mods (opens in new tab) | Best Skyrim companions (opens in new tab) | Skyrim armor (opens in new tab) | Skyrim perks (opens in new tab) | Skyrim enchanting guide (opens in new tab) | Skyrim alchemy guide (opens in new tab) | Skyrim hidden quest locations (opens in new tab) | Skyrim Black Books guide (opens in new tab) | Skyrim Daedric Quest guide (opens in new tab) | How to level up fast in Skyrim (opens in new tab) | Skyrim hidden chest locations
Gaming deals, prizes and latest news
Get the best gaming deals, reviews, product advice, competitions, unmissable gaming news and more!
Iain originally joined Future in 2012 to write guides for CVG, PSM3, and Xbox World, before moving on to join GamesRadar in 2013 as Guides Editor. His words have also appeared in OPM, OXM, PC Gamer, GamesMaster, and SFX. He is better known to many as ‘Mr Trophy’, due to his slightly unhealthy obsession with amassing intangible PlayStation silverware, and he now has over 500 Platinum pots weighing down the shelves of his virtual award cabinet. He does not care for Xbox Achievements.
With contributions from
- Josh WestUK Managing Editor, GamesRadar+
- Heather WaldSenior staff writer
- Leon HurleySenior Guides Co-ordinator
What is the code for God mode in Skyrim? ›
|tgm||Enables God Mode, making you invulnerable and giving you infinite stamina and magicka.|
|player.additem [Item ID] [#]||Adds item to player inventory. For example: "player.additem 0000000f 1000" adds 1000 gold.|
tgm - God mode: Full invincibility, infinite stamina and magicka. tim - Immortal mode: Similar to God mode, you can take damage but can't be killed.How do I access God Mode? ›
- Right-click a blank area of your Windows desktop and move your mouse pointer down to New in the context menu. ...
- Select the new folder on your desktop and either press the F2 key on your keyboard or right-click the folder and choose Rename.
Godmode is an infamous type of hack known throughout a variety of video games. It renders the player invincible, giving them immunity to all kinds of damage. The name comes from the phrase "playing god," someone known to be nigh-invulnerable.How do I become Godlike in Skyrim? ›
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. 4- get yourself a full suit that can wear fortify smithing drink a fortify enchant potion and pound away with the smithing enchant to get a+29% bonus to smithing upgrade with this DRINK the 147% fortify smithing potion and upgrade to god like level anything you want.How does God mode work? ›
God Mode is a difficulty option that can be toggled at any time from the menu on a non-Hell Mode file. God Mode grants 20% damage resistance, increasing by 2% each time a run ends in death (rather than escape). The damage resistance caps at 80%.Is there an invincibility cheat for? ›
To boost your invincibility, you need to press 'RIGHT, X, RIGHT, LEFT, RIGHT, R1, RIGHT, LEFT, X, TRIANGLE' on your PS4. This cheat will activate the feature.How do I make myself unkillable in Skyrim? ›
tgm - Activates god mode, making you completely invincible. tcl - Turns off clipping, allowing you to walk anywhere, in any direction, through any thing. tim - In immortal mode, you can still take damage but you can't actually be killed.Can you edit yourself with GodMode? ›
It also allows you to edit your own character's looks and attribute before you start your custom life; editing your custom life's appearance lets you customize how your character would look in the ages of 21 to 44, and other ages depend on it.How do I turn on God Mode sandbox? ›
- O = Suicide (There will be a You've killed (Player name) message stating that the player were killed by [their name])
- \ = Switch classes. ...
- K = Level Up (hold down to gain Levels quicker) ...
- ; = Activates God mode, grants invulnerability, similar to an Arena Closer.
What does God mode come with? ›
BitLife God Mode is a premium package that lets you edit almost every part of your BitLife save. You can tweak features like your country of birth, gender, social standing, and in-game stats.Where is Godmode located? ›
We are based in Nelson, New Zealand. We operate purely as an online store, using Courier to send and receive orders.